Monday, May 30, 2011

Morphed spaghetti squash

So today is the first day that I felt like cooking in ages.  I have gone through a terrible loss- my dad.  It has thrown me for a loup and back again.  I love cooking, photography, socializing and reading... all of which I have lost the urge to do.

My dad was a man who was a pure 'meat and potatos' kinda guy.  And he didn't like to try new things.  I on the other hand love anything mediteraniany (no fish or sea food though), he didn't like to try my cooking unless it was cabbage rolls, spaghetti sauce, my roasts and oh my - my turkey.  He loved my turkey, he always wanted me to cook my turkey with stuffing, fresh cranberry sauce, mashed potatos, carrots and turnip - oops don't forget the parsnip.  The typical holiday meal.  Do not add anything new like raisens, apples or nuts to the stuffing.  SCANDELOUS!

The reason why I am writing this is because he would not like my dinner tonight.  I left work after it being my first day back after some time off (to be with dad).  It was a fine day, it was sunny and bright, people in shorts and t-shirts, out for lunch and strolling about.  I decided that it would be a relaxing evening.  I synced my iPhone with my iTunes library, tried my new ear phones with the thing you could talk into and well headed out to the grocery store.  I never learn, going shopping when you are hungry is never a good idea.  That's exactly what I did.  I ended up with just a few things.

My original idea was to try some rice noodles with a stir fry concoction-  not quite.
I ended up with a spaghetti squash, 1 jalapeno pepper, 3 bulbs of garlic, some cherry tomatos, a bag of cherries-- so good!- a tub of vanila yogourt, 1 zucchini , some mint and some shreddies.  Exciting isn't it?

Not sure what I'd end up making and to be honest I knew it would be a couple of meals all at different times.

I made the spaghetti squash in the oven with some olive oil, 1/2 jalapeno chopped small, with garlic.  I baked it until it was right,

I also started some red quinoa - sauteed some mushrooms and garlic with lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.  Threw in some cherry tomatos and some corn nibblets, chick peas and once it was warmed up or hot I tossed in some mint leaves.

Now what?

Ok, so I shredded the spaghetti squash put some butter on it and  threw it in with the mushrooms, garlic, lemon juice.... my sautee thingy was done... not quite.  The red quinoa and chickpeas, corn nibblets needed to go in too.

My out come was delishious.  No pictures today I'll let you fuss with your recipe and maybe you could share yours.  I'll be posting photos soon.

Later

1 comment:

  1. Shan, I admire your bold creativeness in the kitchen! I've never had spaghetti squash. Must keep an eye out for it around here, then I'll share my recipe with you. -Grace oxo

    ReplyDelete